Friday 14 August 2009

First, Cauliflower Pizza, then Cauliflower Chocolate Spice Cake!


OK, so the fact that cauliflower was soooo successful as a pizza base got me thinking.... How about cake??!!

I've been making homemade protein bars with protein powder, nuts and seeds, but these end up being pretty calorific, and even when I eat 100% 'clean' I still need to watch overall cals (as most people do) as its sooo easy to splish a little extra olive oil here and chomp a few extra nuts here, that can easily take us out of calorie deficit!

In fact, since trying to wean myself off Calorie King, my weight had gone up a few lb, and its only going back to careful tracking and keeping my intake under control that I've easily lost those annoying lb and feel so much more in control, as I know where I'm at...

So, the cauliflower thought combined with the fact that I'm away next weekend, climbing Snowdon and staying in a B&B with healthy sounding but of course not remotely healthy 'continental breakfast' and I decided to get baking!

And, to my surprise, it worked!!!

So, check out my own invented recipe: CAULICHOCOSPICE CAKE!

1 head of cauliflower (about 700g)
Splash low carb almond milk (I get this stuff: http://www.bevital.co.uk/acatalog/Milk_Substitutes.html)
1 tin pureed pumpkin (I get Libby's - those in the UK need to order and avoid getting tempted by 'candy' while shopping: CANNED PUMPKIN, or you can just steam pumpkin or butternut squash)
1-2 tsp ground ginger
1-2 tsp mixed spice
3 large eggs
100g chocolate protein powder (I used Reflex Instant Whey for this)
Tsp baking powder (I added this, not sure if it was necessary)
Coconut oil to grease tray

Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees C.
Steam the cauliflower and puree it with a hand blender (add a splash of almond milk if you like)
Mix with pumpkin, spices, eggs, protein.
Grease 2 cake tins with coconut oil.
Split mixture into the cake tins (you may want to use 1 larger one, or could try cookie / muffin trays, up to you!)
Place in the oven and bake for 30 ish minutes (again, you'll need to experiment a bit depending on the thickness of the cake - could have done mine for longer but was nice and moist)

Leave to cool then split into 8 servings...

NUTRITIONAL INFO (based on the protein I used personally so if you use different you'll need to adjust):

Per recipe (1/8th would be a snack at around 120 cals and 15 g protein)

969 cals
25g fat
123g protein
83g carbs, of which 40g fibre.

2 comments:

MightyAl said...

Very creative! Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables and chocolate cake is my favorite dessert...I'm definitely going to try this!

Alexandra said...

Very creative! Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables and chocolate cake is my favorite dessert...I'm definitely going to try this!